True Fighters With Strength from Above

True Fighters With Strength from Above

Thursday, September 22, 2011

R.I.C.E Chemo Begins

My dad was admitted to City of Hope around 3:00 p.m. today (Wednesday- America). They decided to go ahead and start the chemo the same day. They gave him a double dose of benadryl and then hooked up his chemo to his port around 11:00 p.m while I was on skype with my mom. She said that dad was stoked today because for the first time ever this hospital was able to draw blood from my dad's port. His arms have been worn out from so many needles, and though every doctor and hospital has tried, none have been successful at drawing out blood, only putting medicine in. Mom said he was flapping his arms like a bird, saying "I am free... no tubes in my arms." I just imagined the song playing... "I believe I can fly... hoo! I believe I can touch the sky....." As soon as dad was admitted they gave him medicine to try and help his bowels become regular again, and thus hopefully helping some of the swelling and pain to go away. Mom and Dad were having a good day and mom talked to me for a while on skype while dad was sleeping and the chemo was starting. She was on cloud nine to just be there and get things going.

Today they will start the second round of a different kind of chemo. The first one he has had before, but this one is a different kind that he hasn't had. Please pray that he will respond okay to this one.

Thank you for your prayers. My mom was told today that she does not have to wear the mask and gloves like she thought. They said because she is the main care giver, she doesn't have to. YAY!

Thanks for your prayers for dad's strength. My mom said that he is being so strong. The doctors told him that they wanted to give him the shot to reduce blood clots from laying in bed so long during these treatments. They said your two options are the arm of the stomach. My mom said he so casually said, "just stick it in my stomach." He's being such a "tough boy" like Koda told him to be :)

Thanks for your prayers today as dad endures this next round of chemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment